Following are some additional highlights from the recent webinar Julia King Tamang of LERN presented on “2012 Contract Training Trends” as part of Augusoft’s Best Practice webinar series.
5 important small business trends
- Cloud Computing
- Social Media
- Mobile Computing
- Rise of the Phone App
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Training & development trends that will make you money
- Strengthen overall leadership skills
- Adapt to virtual leadership and team roles
- Faster on-boarding and ramp up
- Develop and retain high potential employees
- Build teams
- Effective use of social learning, informal learning and e-learning
- Better measurement and connection to the bottom line
New workplace directions
- Office without walls; with flex hours, many options designed to keep the best
- Employees brand themselves
- Increase in emphasis on ethics, social responsibility and governance
- Green becomes an imperative, not an option
- Business “eco-systems” where companies come together to provide complex services
Success metrics are changing
- In traditional training organizations, success metrics have always been based on how much training was done and how effective the programs were.
- As learners become more in control of their learning experience, we now have to measure the individual’s activity associated with access to knowledge-based information – content access, vies and downloads.
Learning leaders are becoming much more focused on relevancy of information
- Relevancy may be the hottest buzzword in the industry today. How do we make our content more relevant?
- Are we delivering the right programs? Is our content relevant to the business’ needs?
- There’s no question that today, more than ever, the focus of the learning leader is to make sure that everything they are doing is driven by the economics of learning.
- We are past the days of spending on training programs because they are popular topics. If the training is not relevant to a specific business need, in an economic climate like we are in today, it is a target for elimination. And this is good news. This is right for our profession.
Trends LERN predicted that are still impacting earning
- Outsourcing at all levels
- Small business is big business
- Soft skills are a viable product
- Learning and work will be collaborative
- The internet is your biggest competition
- You must add consulting capacity to your CT units earning